Here are some questions to get your ideas flowing:
- Which metals conduct heat?
- How is the dissolving speed of powders (like salt) or solids (like candy) affected by heating? Type of liquid? Amount of liquid?
- How is metal corrosion affected by liquids? Temperature? Acids like vinegar? Bases like baking soda?
- Is there really iron in our cereal?
- What are the differences between bulbs in series and in parallel?
- How is electrical conductivity affected by type of material? Temperature? Type of liquid?
- How does a sailboat work? Why are there different designs? Test performance.
- How does temperature affect the electricity generated by a solar cell?
- What are the parts of an electric motor?
- How are weather instruments used in forecasting?
- How can we create a cyclone?
- Which rocks are harder? Test various rocks and minerals such as quartz, granite and slate.
- How is coal is formed? Can we make it at home?
- How do the planets orbit the sun?
Anatomy and Psychology
- How does temperature affect people's ability to taste differences in meats? Soft drinks? Sweets?
- Can a person detect where sound is coming from without being able to see?
- How is blood pressure affected by caffeine? Exercising? Bathing?
- How do we get cavities?
- Fingerprints -- can two people have the same one?
- Do plants grow toward the light?
- Are earthworms good for a garden?
- Are bees good for plants?
- Why do trees have bark?
- Can we tell the age of trees?
- How is seed germination affected by amount of water? Salt content of water? Different fertilizers? Different soils?
- Do animals have the same drinking habits when given colored water?
- Animal prints, what information do they give us?
- How much mass can a hungry caterpillar eat in a day?
- Can a snail move faster on dirt or concrete?
- How does temperature affect the frequency that a cricket chirps?
- Which animal is smarter? Examples: goldfish or guppy, hamster or gerbil, cat or dog.
- Which brand of popcorn works best?
- How much are fabrics damaged by sunlight? Number of washings? Type of detergent?
- How is melting snow in sunlight affected by color?
- Which brand of paper towels can hold the most weight? Try this experiment wet and dry.